Friday, January 4, 2013

Five Minute Friday

Opportunity
I think sometimes I pass up opportunities because I am afraid of them. I am not good at keeping my house up, but I have the opportunity to clean every day. I have plenty of time that I could be picking things up, running laundry, doing dishes... But it's like a part of me is afraid of having things in order, or of being good at cleaning. Another part of me just insists 'let's just zone out. It can't bother us if we don't see it'.

I have a hard time fighting those arguments.

I'm not sure what exactly makes it so easy for me to ignore the mess instead of taking care of it, but I am making a concerted effort to try and be present in my surroundings this year. To finish projects that I start. To get the pile of laundry in my kitchen floor clean, folded, and put away.

And some days - most days - I don't measure up to where I feel I should be. It's those days that I thank God for grace and go to sleep - because tomorrow is a new day.

It's a new year. I want to take every opportunity I can.

Five Minute Friday is a blog feature on Lisa-Jo Baker.com. For more info on how it got started, click here. To see this week's link-up, click here.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps it is the "creative" spirit in us, Virginia, that has difficulty with this. I can tell you this; that as I have become older, it has become easier. Now there is only one area of disarray at a time {the current project} and that area is smaller & smaller than ever before. Completion? That has become easier as well. So do not be hard upon yourself. Take this opportunity to love yourself and the creative spirit God made you to be! It will happen. You will begin to find delight in the order for it represents the natural order that God is!
    P.S.
    Love the design of your home page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Virginia, I think your opportunities right now involve those little souls you are raising. Mine are grown now, and things definitely DO get easier (and neater/cleaner). I remember, though, sort of whining to my sweet MIL one day years ago about how my house always felt messy - no matter WHAT I did. She responded with, "you have little ones right now (at the time there were 4 of them) and being a mom to them is far more important than a tidy house." It helped me to put things in perspective. This is your season of being busy with little ones. =) That is your opportunity!

    ReplyDelete